Tomo-Kahni was created as a unit of the California State Park System in late 1993 after many years of hard work and effort by local residents to protect the area for future generations.
Maurice Zigmond of Yale University, while doing research, visited the area in the 1930’s and the 1970’s. He collected a great deal of data about Kawaiisu/Nuooah language, mythology and culture and preserved much of it through his writings.
In the 1950’s, the Archaeological Survey Association did field work in the area noting many things of interest. Subsequent archaeological studies have been conducted by the University of California, California State University at Bakersfield and by the Antelope Valley College.
During the 1980’s and early 1990’s, members of Tehachapi Heritage League and Museum worked with Assemblyman Phil Wyman and the Archaeological Conservancy to set the area aside under the State Park System to protect it and preserve its integrity.
A large debt of gratitude is due to those who saw the need to protect the area and who continue to provide the state with assistance.